Creating an Account
To access AJL's full range of job search options, build or upload your resume, and apply for jobs, you need to create a job seeker account. Creating a job seeker account is free and allows you to take full advantage of AJL's recruitment and labor information services. With a job seeker account you can post resumes, search the AJL database containing thousands of job postings, save a job search profile for future use, and more. This section will walk you through the steps required to create a job seeker account, and explain how to edit or update your account information. The Job Seekers page available from the AJL home page lists the advantages of creating an AJL job seeker account, and provides a button to begin the job seeker account creation process.
Quick Start Guide
Click to view full-screen video in new window: Creating a Job Seeker Account
Self-Service vs. Staff-Assisted
AJL gives you the choice among managing your own job search activities (self-service), seeking assistance from a workforce professional at your local American Job Center (staff-assisted), or a combination of both. You can use AJL to perform a quick job search without creating an account. However, you cannot view the job details or apply for the job until you have registered for an account, and depending on your state, created a resume.
Even if you choose to begin by creating a self-service account, you can contact your local job center for assistance at any time. Job center staff are trained to guide you through exploring your career interests, creating a resume, registering for job training, contacting a potential employer, and more. To locate the job center nearest you, above the top navigation menu of any AJL page, click Contact Us.
Creating a BASIC Job Seeker Account
- On the AJL home page, click Log In/Register, then click Job Seeker.
- The Job Seekers page displays. Under Create a Profile, click the Create a Job Seeker Account button.
- The New Account Creation page displays. Provide, at a minimum, all of the required information. Required information is marked throughout AJL with a blue asterisk.
- New Account Creation fields and descriptions
New Account Creation Field Description Social Security Number (Text) Enter your Social Security number.
- If you do not provide your SSN, AJL will generate a pseudo SSN for you. The pseudo SSN can be replaced with your real SSN later. If you are registering to receive unemployment compensation or cash assistance from other federal programs, keep in mind that not providing your SSN could prevent you from receiving those benefits.
Confirm Social Security Number (Text) Re-enter your Social Security number I decline the entry of my Social Security number. (Checkbox) Select the checkbox if you decline to provider your SSN. Date of Birth (Text/Date Picker) Select or enter your date of birth (yyyy-mm-dd). Account Information Username (Text) Enter a username. Usernames must be 6-20 characters long and may not contain spaces or special characters. Confirm Username (Text) Re-enter username. Password (Text) Enter a password. Passwords must be 8-20 characters long, contain at least one letter, number, and special character, and must be different from your username. Passwords cannot contain spaces and are case sensitive. Confirm Password (Text) Re-enter your password. Security Question (Drop-down) Select a security question to which you will remember the answer. The security question will be used to verify your identity in case you forget your username or password. Answer (Text) Enter the answer to your security question. Profile Information First Name (Text) Enter your first name. Middle Initial (Text) Enter your middle initial, if desired. Last Name (Text) Enter your last name. Phone (Text) Enter your primary telephone number, including the extension, in available, as ###-###-####x####. Cell Phone (Text) Enter your cell phone number. Fax (Text) Enter your fax number, if desired. Email Address: (Text) Enter your email address if desired.
- Providing an email address is optional, but you must provide one if you want to receive emails about job openings, services, activities, and job referrals. If you enter an email address, you will receive an email with confirmation instructions.
Confirm Email Address (Text) Re-enter your email address. Address (Text) Enter the street address of your residence. If you do not have an address of residence, provide the address of your local American Job Center. To find the address of your local AJC, click Contact Us in the top navigation menu Address 2 (Text) Enter any additional address information, including apartment or building number. City (Text) Enter the city of residence. State (Drop-down) Select your state of residence. ZIP Code (Text) Enter your five-digit ZIP code. Country (Drop-down) Select your country of residence. The United States is the default selection. International Locality: (Text) If you live outside of the United States, please provide your state, province, or county, as appropriate. Work Email (Text) Enter your work email address, if desired. Work Phone (Text) Enter your work telephone number, if desired. How did you hear about our services? (Check all that apply.) (Checkboxes) Check all ways in which you heard about our services. Options may vary by state.
- Click Continue.
- Review the Get Started page.
- If you do not want to complete full account registration, click Cancel at the bottom of the screen. Your personalized account home page displays. Depending on your state's requirements, you may be asked to create a resume before you can search and view jobs.
- If you wish to complete full account registration, complete the Get Started page, which is the first step of the PLUS account registration.
Create a PLUS Job Seeker Account
- Step 1: Get Started
Step 1 of creating a PLUS Account is Get Started. The Get Started page provides important information that you must read and accept before proceeding. To complete the Get Started page:
- Carefully read the Equal Opportunity Statement. If you agree, leave I Accept selected. For you to proceed, “I Accept” must be selected. If you would like to print the Equal Opportunity Statement for your records, click Print EO Statement.
- Carefully read the Information Privacy Notice. If you agree, leave I Accept selected. For you to proceed, “I Accept” must be selected. If you would like to print the Information Privacy Notice for your records, click Print Privacy Statement.
- Carefully read the Authorization to Obtain Information Statement and select all of the statements that apply. You are not required to select any of the statements, but to verify your selections you must enter your username and password.
- Click Next Step. (Clicking Cancel or Go Back ends the PLUS account creation process and takes you to your personalized home page.)
- Step 2: About You
Step 2 is About You. During this step, you will provide information about yourself so that workforce center staff can better match you with job opportunities and provide employment-related assistance. All of the information you provide in the About You section is confidential.
- The About You section consists of several pages of questions beginning with the Registration Information page. AJL may have answered some of the questions in the About You section for you, based on the information you provided when you created your BASIC Account. Confirm these answers (editing them if necessary) and provide, at a minimum, the rest of the required information.
- How you answer certain questions determines which page displays next, so all of the pages in the About You section may not display to you.
The Registration Information page is pre-filled with information you provided in the first New Account Creation pages.
- Complete the Registration Information page.
- Registration Information fields and descriptions
Registration Information Field Description Social Security Number (Text) Providing your SSN is optional.
- If you have provided your SSN, you will see Xs in the place of some or all of the Text and the message: "Please note: A valid Social Security number is on file for this account, but has been masked for better data protection. If you wish to enter a new value, replace the entry below with a valid Social Security number. To continue without providing your SSN, click "I decline the entry of my Social Security number."If you select this check box, a warning page will display when you click Next Step.
Date of Birth (Calendar/Text) Confirm your date of birth. Ethnic Hispanic/Latino (Drop-down) Select or confirm your ethnicity. Race (Checkboxes) Select the race(s) with which you identify or confirm your selection(s). You may select more than one. English Language Learner: (Drop-down) Select Yes if English is not your primary language and you are learning the English language. ELL Primary Language (Drop-down) Select your primary language. If your language is not listed, select Other. ELL Primary Language (If Other selected above) (Text) If you select Other for Primary Language, enter your primary language. Do you prefer to communicate in sign language? (Drop-down) If you prefer to communicate in sign language, select your preferred sign language style. Are you a single, separated, divorced, or widowed individual with primary responsibility for one or more dependents under the age 18 (including single pregnant women?) (Drop-down) Select whether you are you a single, separated, divorced or widowed individual with primary responsibility for one or more dependents under the age 18. If you prefer not to answer, select Not Reported. Number in Family (Including yourself) (Text) Enter the number of family members living in your household including yourself. Individual with Disability (For this question, disability means a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of an individual.) (Drop-down) Select whether you have a disability or confirm your selection. If you prefer not to identify whether you have a disability, select Prefer not to answer. Disability Categories (Checkboxes) If you answered Yes to the Individual with Disability question, you must select your category of disability or confirm your selection. If you prefer not to identify your Category of Disability, select Prefer not to answer. Education Status (Drop-down) Select your current education status. Highest School Grade Completed (Drop-down) Select the highest school grade you have completed. Your selection must correspond with the answer you selected for Education Status. Are you a registered apprentice? (Drop-down) Select from Yes, No, or Unknown. Have you served on active duty with the armed forces of the United States? (Drop-down) Select or confirm your answer if you are currently serving or have ever served on active duty.
Click Next Step.
- If you have declined entry of your SSN, a confirmation will display. Click Decline entry of the SSN to proceed or click Cancel to return to the Registration Information and fill out your SSN.
- If you answered Yes to the active duty question, the Veteran Service Information page displays.
- If you answered No to the active duty question, the Spouse of a Veteran Information page displays.
The following instructions apply to the Veteran section of Step 2: About You. You may or may not see these pages, depending on how you answer questions, specifically the active duty question. To view instructions about all questions relating to veteran service, please see the Veteran Information section.
Are You a Migrant Worker?
After answering any veteran questions, the Are You a Migrant Worker page displays. Migrant workers engaged in certain types of seasonal agricultural work may qualify for additional services. You may or may not see additional Migrant Worker pages, depending on your answer to the first migrant worker question. To view instructions about all questions relating to veteran service, please see the Migrant Worker section.
The Employment Status pages provide information about your current employment situation.
Complete the following questions on the first Employment Status page.
- Employment Status: Page 1 fields and descriptions
Employment Status: Page 1 Field Description Employment Status (Drop-down) Select from the following options:
- Employed but with notice of termination or military separation
- Not in the labor force
- Not employed
Number of weeks not employed, if any (at time of registration) during the prior 26 weeks. (Drop-down) Select from the following options:
- Less than 1 week
- 1 week–26 weeks
- More than 26 weeks
Interstate worker (Drop-down) Select your current state of residence and the state in which you wish to be employed from the following options:
- Live in [State] and looking for work in [State]
- Live in another state but looking for work in [State]
- Live in [State] and looking for work in [State] and other states
- Live in another state and looking for work in another state
- Prefer not to answer
Incumbent worker: Were you still employed when you applied for additional training? (Drop-down) Select Yes or No. Underemployed worker: Are you employed at less than full-time, or at jobs inadequate with respect to your training or economic needs? (Drop-down) Select Yes or No. Long-term unemployed: Have you been out of work for 27 weeks or more (consecutive or non-consecutive), but actively looked for work in the last four weeks? (Drop-down) Select Yes or No.
- Click Next Step. The second Employment Status page displays.
- Employment Status: Page 2 fields and descriptionss
Employment Status: Page 2 Field Description State Unemployment Insurance claims (UI) program: (Drop-down) Select from the following options:
- State Claimant
- Federal (UCEF) Claimant
- Military (UCX) Claimant
- Extended Benefits Claimant
- TRA Claimant
- Exhausted UI Benefits
- Not a claimant
Referred by Worker Profiling and Reemployment Services (WPRS) (Drop-down) Select from the following options:
- Neither a Claimant nor Exhaustee
- Claimant Referred by RESEA
- Claimant Referred by WPRS
- Claimant Not Referred by RESEA or WPRS
- Claimant Exempt from work search
- Click Next Step.
The Selective Service page determine if you are registered for selective service. This page displays if you are a male and born on or after January 1, 1960.
- Select whether you have registered with the Selective service. If you have not, click the link to register online; this will open the Selective Service System Online Registration website in a new window.
- If you are exempt, fill out the Reason for Exemption text box.
- Click Next Step. The Work Eligibility page displays.
The Work Eligibility page signifies if you are eligible to work in the United States.
Complete the following questions on the Work Eligibility page
- Work Eligibility fields and descriptions
Work Eligibility Field Description Work Eligibility Status (Drop-down) Select from the following options:
- U.S. Citizen
- Non-Citizen Eligible to Work in the U.S.
- Non-Citizen Not Eligible to Work in the U.S.
Refugee: (Drop-down) Select Yes, No, or Not Reported. You may skip this question. USCIS Form Number: (Drop-down) Select the appropriate United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) form number. The drop-down lists all acceptable List A and List C form numbers from the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Alien Certification Number: (Text) If USCIS form is selected, enter Alien Certification number. Other Description: (Text) If "Other" is selected for USCIS Form Number, enter a description of the USCIS form not listed.
- Click Next Step. The first Dislocated Worker page displays.
After the Work Eligibility page, the first Dislocated Worker page displays. Two additional pages may display, depending on how the first page is answered. To view instructions about all questions relating to dislocated workers, please see Dislocated Worker section.
- Step 3: Work Wanted
Step 3 of creating a PLUS Account is Work Wanted. The Work Wanted section asks you to provide information about the type of job you are looking for (your "target job"). This information will help workforce center staff match you more accurately with available jobs.
- To complete the Work Wanted section:
- Type the job you are looking for, or (if you are not currently looking for work) a job title you have held in the past. A drop-down list may display as you type to help you provide a more specific job title. A more specific job title will result in better job matches. You may select a suggestion from the drop-down or continue typing.
- Click Update Work Wanted. The Select Occupation page displays.
- Click the occupation that most closely matches the job you are seeking. If none of the occupations are a good match or if no occupations are displayed, click Go Back to enter a different job title.
- Step 4: Review &Edit
Step 4 of creating a PLUS Account is Review & Edit. The Review & Edit page displays all of the selections you made and the information you provided. To complete the Review & Edit page:
- Review the information carefully for accuracy.
- To edit your selections for Equal Opportunity/ Data Privacy/ Authorization to Obtain Information, click the Edit button.
- To edit any of the rest of your information, click the Edit links. Remember that you can also make changes later from your My Profile page.
- When you are satisfied that all of your information is accurate, at the bottom of the Review & Edit page, click Finish. Your PLUS Account is now complete.
- If your state requires job seekers to create a resume as part of AJL registration, the New Resume page displays. For further instructions, see Creating a Resume.
- If your state does not require you to create a resume as part of AJL registration, the PLUS Account completion page displays.
- To build or upload a resume, click Build a Resume.
- To visit your personal home page, click My Home Page.